August 7, 2005

Everton vs Villareal

This one should be interesting. I remember when Celtic played Villareal a few years back and Celtic came out the same way I think Everton will, very physical and aggressive, trying to scare the yellow submarine. If they think they can I'm betting that they are wrong. Villareal has half the Argentine national team in the line-up (Riquelme, Sorin, Figueroa and Gonzalez), two superb defensive midfielders in Senna and Tachinardi (Josico is out injured), the top scorer in Europe and excellent speed down the flanks. What Villareal managed against Celtic was moving the ball around, always keeping possession, which both tired the pressing team and created space for Riquelme. My guess is Lee Carsley will jump in studs first if he can and try to scare Román out of the game. I don't think that'll succeed.

I'll be interested in how Villareal's new keeper holds up but I probably won't be able to see the game.

No comments: